Old 08-09-2020, 12:39 AM   #9
joedoh

Re: elecric rad fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
if you don't have a fan yet, no need to look for a shroud
with a mechanical fan shroud adds no extra space
if you have room for a fan, you need a shroud
some electric fans zip tie to the radiator, but you lose cooling efficiency without the shroud
my truk has an electric fan, the shroud adds about an inch to the depth

that's why i asked: what are you running for a fan?

sorry buddy, but the fan in your picture has a shroud, and I dont mean that box its bolted to.

a "fan shroud" makes a fan a ducted fan, thats the purpose of it on a mechanical fan also, making it efficiently pull air through the rad. there is a specific ratio for the blade tip to the shroud. all that box does is make sure all the air entering the radiator will exit through the fan opening, which is unnecessary.

the radiator has fins that point straight back, in the corners your box will BLOCK airflow unless the fan is on and pulling air through itself

those types of shrouds can actually make a truck run hotter and the fan run longer. if they were deeper, and the fan opening larger,the air could gently turn and exit, but an inch off the core and perpendicular to the flow will make it turbulent and will trap air.

I ran a CFD (computational fluid dynamics) lab for a retail fan company, you might have some of the products we designed in your house right now!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote