Thread: Wife's 48
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 05:44 PM   #99
8man

Re: Wife's 48

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder! I started on the "new" parts this weekend.

The last thing I did this weekend was look at the best looking fender of the bunch, and it turned out to have rust issues.
IMG_1979 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr
When I started looking it over closely, there was some rust on the underside, but the paint was still in tact on top. So I started messing around and found all of those little holes! It looks like someone stored it upside down and it held water. I started welding them up from the top side first. Some of them are so small that you can't stick a pin in them. I stopped at this point and will work on the welds and grinding again.

The best of the rear fenders turned out to have at least a quarter inch of bondo on it.
IMG_1976 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr
The PO didn't weld up the crack/rip, just covered it with a think layer of bondo to "hold it in place", I guess. So I cleaned it up and welded the crack. When I get it blasted I'll start on the hammer and dolly on it.

One of the front fenders had been hit, and the PO welded the spot up, but didn't bring it out smooth first. I worked it with a hammer and dolly a bunch before working on that gorilla weld. This is the PO's weld after I've worked on it a bit.
IMG_1977 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr
There is another spot on this fender where it looks like it was hit with a small round object and it made a nice hole. The PO welded it up, but I can not figure out how to bring it out from that roll. It's the round hole on the left.
IMG_1978 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr
8man is offline   Reply With Quote