View Single Post
Old 02-03-2020, 02:54 PM   #6
AHenry014

Re: 1955 GMC Big Window Step Side Build; LSx, IFS, IRS, etc.

Haha, sorry for the delay with pics guys. Ever since photobucket took a dive, i had to find time to put some energy into finding a new hosting website. Lets see how it goes with Imgur.

What do we all think of wheel in fender opening position?

Bringing her home!!

Nice Clean Engine!! Someone spent some time in here repainting the engine bay and making the engine look nice. The engine may have even been rebuilt, but i dont have any proof of that. Maybe the reason it was parked/sold? Finding a cracked block after doing all that work would certainly take the wind out of anyones sails. Notice the nicely painted, rebuilt, trans in there.

The other side.

Womp womppp, cracked! Knew there was something up with it when i bought it and i am not using it anyhow, so this was not a giant surprise.

Column shot

Finally in the garage on my new dollies, worth every penny of the 100 i spent for them on ebay.

Front end out! Luckily every single bolt came out no problem.

IRS obtained! What a pain that was. This trip to the pick and pull resulted in a long overdue cordless power tool upgrade.

Front Crown Vic control arms, spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers, etc. 100 for what you see, thought that was a good deal.

Team321 front subframe trimmed and in place. I trimmed all the bracketry off the frame prior to this shot. Getting those old rivets out is not fun! My best method was to take a grinding wheel and flattening out the head of the rivet. From there, a two step method of drilling into the center of the rivet was done. From there a quick blow from the air hammer and off with their heads!!

Corner mocked up. After measuring and stewing on ride height, stuffed height, bag to frame interference, and team321 recommendation, i purchased new extended shock ends. Ridetech "ride height" with the extended ends puts the control arms just about flat with the bottom of the subframe. Perfect!

Theoretical ride height with 28" tire, which is what i am thinking of going with.

Stuffed, rough measurement puts the rocker approx 2" off the ground, but well see how close i can get it with some trimming.

Air ride bits for your viewing pleasure. The previous owner of this kit actually melted a hole in one of the rear bags due to the proximity to his exhaust. Unfortunately, that style of shock has long since been obsolete, so a replacement bag is not available. Thinking about it now, this may be why the guy sold the kit! Anywho, i may go with a bellows style bag in the original Mark VIII spring pocket and reuse the ridetech shocks without the bags! We shall see how it unfolds.

Last edited by AHenry014; 02-03-2020 at 03:10 PM.
AHenry014 is offline   Reply With Quote