View Single Post
Old 01-28-2019, 12:24 PM   #92
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Re: Project: Tiki Express, '65 C10 Panel Truck Build

Well I have been doing some work the last couple weekends on the panel. Been getting some projects completed that I have put off for quite a while.... okay for the last couple years...

When I worked on it back in 2017, I found all of the ball joint and tie rods boots had cracked, even though these were all brand new parts. It really pissed me off as I knew I would have to disassemble the front suspension again, to replace the boots. Then I couldn't find replacements easily so it sat. I finally found some info to replace the boot with Prothane boots, which should last a very long time. I pulled apart the front end, which came apart much easier then it did with all of the original parts. Ok, check that project off.

The last thing I was working on in 2017 was drilling out the lower control arm u-bolt mounts. Stock was 7/16" and GM upgraded to 9/16" versions because they were having some breakage issues. I had gotten 3 out of 4 done but then my air drill died. I finally got the 4th one done.

I put in some different rear springs, since the CPP "Heavy Duty" 4" dropped springs gave 6-7" drop. Way more than I wanted. Replaced them with ECE 3" dropped springs, which gave me the 4" I wanted, per ECE recommendation. They said for panels/burbs, go with 1" less drop then what you want to end up with.

Now with the rear sitting how I wanted, the rear end was shifted off center, from side to side. Readjusted the panhard bar and got things centered up.

I also got the front sway bar remounted.

Last thing was dealing with the leaking calipers, where the hoses mount to the calipers. Back in 2017 I had bled everything and was dealing with those leaks. Tried new copper washers (even though the ones installed were new) and still no luck. Even replace one caliper, which I hoped stopped it. It seemed to but after sitting a couple days, was still leaking. I have read that many of these calipers when being rebuilt, the rebuilders are causing issues with the threads/mounting surface by removing the little "rings" or putting too much taper at the beginning of the threads. This is causing them not to seal correctly. I decided to upgrade from these and bought a set of Wilwood D52 replacement calipers. These are dual piston and it seems so far, no freaking leaks!!! Here's a pic of one installed.

At this point I think the suspension and brakes are all done.... finally. Next up is the cooling system. Ordered a new radiator and have new hoses. Hoping in the next couple months to finally have this on the road.
Attached Images

1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...

Last edited by chevy_mike; 01-28-2019 at 12:54 PM.
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote