View Single Post
Old 11-12-2018, 04:19 PM   #63
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s ‘79 - 2WD BLAZER Challenge over in London, England. “~It’s not a Project

So one of the jobs that we just had to walk away from last weekend after 10 hrs in the cold, was the passenger side lower control arm and its cross shaft, which has locating pins on the cross me,her.

These have to be seated, or else you cannot tighten the U-Bolts.

In the dark at 7pm it was never going to happen.

So today I had to fix it hat as a first priority.

I certainly was not going to disassemble everything, so took a long look, and tried to see in there, but of course there is a lot that goes on there, and even the LED torch could not give me enough of an idea as to where the pins and holes were

So I undid the U-Bolts a bit, lifting the whole assembly gently with the jack from under the spring cup.

No matter what I tried I could not see what needed to be done, did it need to be twisted forward or backward and did I need to attack it with a rubber mallet from the rear or from the front.

So I came up to the house for a coffee, and cookies...... thinking power food.

And thought that the only way to figure out where everything was in relation to everything else, was to poke my finger in there, and then twist and hammer into various directions.

But my thick fingers would not fit in the space I had available.

So I used some wire, sharpened it, created a simple handle to give me leverage.

This way I got to “feel and pick”the invisible space between cross shaft and mounting point and the locating pin and hole.

Trust me, this was a long job, simply because I am not naturally talented like some mechanics.

My neck hurt, and I was hurting because despite,the,carpet on the floor, the cold does come up into my back.

EVENTUALLY I GOT IT ALL SORTED AND BOLTED DOWN.

This job was followed by the steering tie rod ends.

Theoretically a simple take it off and replace it job.

Errrrmmm,mmmmm........?

These old parts really are grubby, rusted and a pain.

34 turns to remove the old unit.

THEN THE FUN STARTED.

I could not for the life of me, get the new part to screw into the jointing section, at least not the way it had come out.

I think in the end I may even have cross threaded it too.

Copper slip added, but all to no avail.

So the question is this: Do these units come in a left hand and a right hand flavour?

The two that I got sent are exactly the same, and an hour later I still had no progress and shut shop as I had a dinner date after showering and feeding Harley.

Packaging.

Both are exactly the same.

Tomorrow morning I will go try to do the drivers side and if it is a simple task, then who knows, it may be that there are Left and Right Toe Rods.

Anyone know?

Bedtime.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote