View Single Post
Old 02-24-2017, 10:17 PM   #192
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

Spent most of the day remounting the air compressor. It was hanging upsidedown screwed to the plywood behind the fuel tank. I fabbed a sheet metal base that attaches to the front of the trailer hitch like a cross member would. Using some sound isolation mounts I attached the pump to the base. The result is a marked reduction in noise. Two people can have a normal conversation when it is running now. And it doesn't startle me every time it starts now.
I had to drop the air tank to flip the compressor and I glad I did. There were only three bolts holding it and one of those was backed out about a 1/4". They had installed the tank the same way as the compressor, by hanging it from the floor with 1 /4-20 bolts going up into T-nuts on the inside. There were only three T-nuts installed, but four holes drilled, so I guess it never had four bolts. The bolt that was backed off was so badly corroded and I ended up having to drill the T-nut into thirds and chisle the pieces apart to remove the bolt. This was less than optimal when it came time to put it back together, as I did some damage to the wood. So I purchased some 5/16" 3 wing T-nuts which have a larger head to make up for the damage and should allow the nuts to support the weight of the tank better. When I replace the floor I will figure a better way to mount the tank.
All in all a good day (except that I had to work outside due to the shop being slammed with work and it rained pretty good a couple of times) that finished with a short drive in the WMB! Night and day difference with the bags isolated and the big sway bar.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote