View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 06:27 AM   #81
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Post Your Straight Six Pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 shorty View Post
to anyone running a holley on thier six. What do you use for a throttle cable? I've never been able to figure out how to adjust mine to get WOT. My 70 has been coverted to the later style (71&2 I think) gas pedal where it's not mounted to the floor.
On my '68 C/10 w/292 and a 4 Bbl Edelbrock 1404 500 CFM Performer, I converted to the '72 GM gas pedal connected to a Lokar style cable -- out the firewall, right turn behind the valve cover, back over the valve cover and onto a throttle cable bracket by Jeg's but like the Holley HLY-20-112. I had to cut off the last 7/8ths to avoid hitting the valve cover. Carb is side saddle [compared to a V8 set up], with the primaries outboard.
When I had the Holley 4160 R8007 390 CFM, I cut off the bottom of the carb throttle lever, since I had a 4-speed didn't need the kickdown and it was hitting the Offy intake. I also had a lot more fun -- and no take-off stumble--when I added a 50cc accelerator pump. I ran the 390 for 24 years, but after 500 miles of break-in on the new 292, the Holley just wouldn't stay set up. Rather than get a new throttle plate, I decided to get an AFB clone. Easier for me to tune myself.
As fas as the throttle cable, I don't remember the brand or the P/N, but I think I started at about 32" and cut it down from there. To get more pull on the cable, shorten it up under the gas pedal and you should be closer to WOT.
Hope this helps.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 04-17-2009 at 06:30 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote