View Single Post
Old 12-01-2018, 02:09 AM   #44
jarrodblake

Re: 1970 C30 Car hauler Buildish thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Very nice work on the cab and paint work! I love what you're doing with it! Nice choice on the intercooled VE! I don't know where you read or heard that these like to run away but I have to call BS on that. Now, if the turbo starts blowing oil out of the compressor side, it could run a way. But it is not a common thing on them. As far as the flywheel, you'd probably still use a 1st gen flywheel. I am not sure as I never used that adapter. For a clutch fork call this guy and see if he has one. Mark 402-780-5127. If he doesn't have one, he probably can find one.

The alternator and ac were operated by the computer on the first gens. You can get a 1 wire alternator for these, or use a mid 90s Ford F250 external voltage regulator. I have some info in the Diesel conversion section of this site on them.

I think I remember you put a newer steering box on this truck? If so you can use the lines from a square body with a hydroboost. You will have to tweak them to fit nice in there but they work.

If I was you I'd get a 2nd gen radiator and intercooler and modify your radiator support to fit them in. I used a stock 4 core BBC radiator in my 72 and I will be putting a 2nd gen dodge one in eventually. My truck will run warm when hauling 5th wheels. Hauling 20k open trailers it is fine. But that wind resistance makes it work more and my engine isn't stock so that doesn't help either.
Thanks I'm happy with how the cab came out. I have seen a few threads on cummins forum talking about it running away and I have seen a few videos as well. As far as the flywheel I went with the second gen So I can go with a second gen clutch. I ended up buying a bellhousing with a clutch fork. I also found a 1 wire alternator conversion kit to convert the stock alternator to one wire. Yes I have the newer steering box but I will have to buy the lines. I'll look into getting a 2nd gen radiator and intercooler as my core support need a lot of work anyways.

Sorry it been such a long time since I have made an update. Back in september I messed my back up at work. I was in the hospital for a week and had to use a wheelchair for a month. I still not 100% I can't say standing for very long or lift anything heavy. I have a damaged disk in my back. I'm weight on insurance to approve a shot. So I can't really do to much at the moment.

So here are some pics of stuff that I had got done be for I got hurt.

I got the front of the frame painted.

IMAG1821 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG1822 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG1825 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG1826 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG1827 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG1828 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG1829 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG1830 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

Some steel for my headache rack

IMAG1832 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

Its 5'' 1/4 box

IMAG1833 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG1831 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

I removed the side box and the inner box nightmare thing.

IMAG1862 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG1863 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG1866 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG1870 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

I started on the headache rack

IMAG1871 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG1872 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG1873 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG1874 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

Water pump, thermostat and seals for the cummins

IMAG1876 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG1877 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

I got new seals for the doors

IMAG1858 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG1861 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG1859 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

Installed the headache rack

IMAG1946 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

two receiver mounts so I can make a removable roof rack

IMAG1950 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG1951 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG1952 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG1953 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

So now we are back to present time.

Last week I installed the rear window in the cab.

IMAG1976 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG1977 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

Today I painted the headache rack, just so we're clear I did not paint over rust I had a friend help me wire wheel and frimer all that is painted. I just can't do much right now so I only did a little bit that way I can get the cab on the frame and out of the garage.

IMAG2041 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG2042 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG2043 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr
jarrodblake is offline   Reply With Quote