View Single Post
Old 08-27-2016, 08:41 PM   #22
GSIMFAB

Re: Billet 67-72 Door Handles

Quote:
Originally Posted by notchbackgta View Post
Well, I am pretty disappointed in the design of these handles. Unless I somehow got ones made incorrectly, you can't re-use your original screws, nor will any screws without misalignment washers even work properly. The holes for the screws are perpendicular to the outside face of the handle instead of at an angle like the originals. If someone was building/manufacturing these on a drill press, I could see putting the screw hole in perpendicular, but they appear to be made on a least a 4 axis CNC, so there should be no reason to put the hole in but at an angle, like stock handles. The area around the hole is also relieved for some reason, but doesn't really seem to need to be. If the area was flush you could get more thread of the screw into the body, making the overall design actually stronger than stock.
When I read "Due to some inconsistencies in doors some fitment may be required. " I thought maybe the opening in the door skin may be off slightly for the handle that protrudes into the door and you may need to file or grind out the opening bigger. I didn't think that I was going to have to buy new hardware and figure out how to make new screws put even pressure on the back side of the door skin.

What gives? Did I get a bad batch, or is that just the design?

I have to say they are beautiful and I really like how they moved the "void" in the back side of the stock handle to the outside. I hate that on the stockers as if you grab the handle too hard it can put pressure on joints, as it does for me sometimes.
I sent you a PM.
GSIMFAB is offline   Reply With Quote