Thread: Penny
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2023, 08:47 PM   #103
cwcarpenter98

Re: Penny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty One View Post
It's too late to help now, but I just soak the bushings in gasoline, set 'em afire, and walk away. After they burn-out, the rubber is brittle, and comes apart easily.

Good to see the old beast coming along though!
That's a good idea. I was surprised with how well the ball joint press did in removing the inner sleeve and rubber, so if fire isn't an option, the press definitely is. Also great for installing the new bushings. Did that in just about an hour this evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
Great progress

I have learned a Few tricks over the years about bed bolts.

Especially the Later model Square body has 2 bolts that are (Long).

1st thing I do is Drill a small 1/4" to 5/16 hole in the center of the Top of the bolt that is spinning / about 1/2 to 1 inch deep.

If you have someone to hold the bolt from the bottom while drilling (If Needed) it helps.

Then take an angle grinder and very carefully cut and X in the top of the bolt.

Tack weld the bolt lightly to the bed.

Then try your luck breaking the nut loose.

Only put penetrating oil on the nut not the bolt.
Ask me how I figured that out.

If this does not work or the bolt breaks the welds.

You have several options.

Reweld the bolt then drill the top of the bolt with a drill bigger than the Diameter of the bolt, (1/2 ") maybe use a 9/16 or 5/8 drill.

This will separate the head from the shank of the bolt.

An undesirable option would be to drill the bottom of the bolt or grind it off.

I prefer to do the grunt work on the top (Less sparks, shaving and dirt in your eyes and stuff)

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tips, I might have to give that a try before resorting to slicing from below. I wonder if cutting a slot in the bolt head and using a large screwdriver to hold it would be enough to break it loose. Might give that a shot as well since I have a really large flat head screwdriver

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote