View Single Post
Old 02-24-2021, 11:18 AM   #11
dsraven

Re: Why Does Everything Take So Long

I find, when it comes to buying stuff early and being able to find it later, that putting "like" components together helps. when I disassemble something, originally, I try to take pics and then put the fasteners back in the spots they came from so I know what went where and from which direction. then I try to assemble parts like they would be on the vehicle, where possible, and put those "like" parts in a bin or a box and label it. like a wiper system, disassemble it, take it out, reassemble it, label it and put it in a bin with a label on the bin. then you know exactly how the system went together a couple of years later. if I buy a new part for that system I put it in the bin with the original parts, after comparing the new to the old. if the parts are big, like patch panels or something, I try to put all those parts in the same place so I can easily find them. seems to work most of the time.
I have been working on my project(s) for 12 years. over that time it has gone in a different direction 3 times. haha. there is always something more important that needs to be done but, in the end, it is a hobby and we are supposed to enjoy hobbies. if it gets to the point of frustration and it seems like a job more than a hobby then put it aside for awhile and find something else relaxing and enjoyable to do, or, hire that portion out to get done. if hiring out make sure to take some pics before you hand over the keys, even with the shop guy watching, so you have "before" shots and the shop knows you will be keeping track. if they make a fuss then they are probably not the shop to use because they are afraid they may get caught screwing up. ask for any old/replaced parts back as well.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote