View Single Post
Old 09-07-2020, 10:19 PM   #1
C.I.Blazer

First Time Top Off - And a question...

Even though summer is winding to a close, I really wanted to get the top off my blazer. Partly to get a few drives in now that I have the truck running, but I was also a bit nervous to see the condition of the bed rails and the top of the windshield frame since I bought the truck without seeing them. Overall I think it looks pretty good, what do you think. There is some type of old sealant on top of the windshield but all the metal appears solid.

My next project is to replace my inner and outer rockers and any other metal that needs to be replaced in that area. I think (hope) my torsion boxes may be in good enough shape to save. I have replaced the body mounts and plan to bolt the top back on to help line everything up before I start.

My questions is regarding the nuts in the double wall top that are used to bolt it down. Of the six on each side, I only have three on one side and four on the other that work. Three holes have stuck broken bolts in them and a couple are just an empty hole. To make matters worse, I have already broken off two extractors in the bolts trying to get them out which of course makes them impossible to drill out.

I guess right now I just need a temporary fix so I can work on the rockers. My goal was to take the top off next summer and attempt a more major rebuild.

On the plus side, I guess anything I do is better that the four sheet rock screws that were holding the top on when I got it

Thanks for the help.
Attached Images

C.I.Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote