View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 02:07 AM   #111
gokellurself

Re: Kell's Two Cents - 1946 build

Now for some other stuff I had going on

My gauges all seemed to be reading funky and/or not reading at all. I had ran them all in series and I had even thought about the fact that if even one gauge messed up that it was going to mess up the rest of them, but I swear sometimes I'm too positive and I just figured I was going to wire it all correctly and there weren't going to be any issues.. Of course I didn't sit down and do the Ohm's law math and figure out what the result of running everything like that was gonna be, but when I began doing some troubleshooting I knew I needed to switch everything to parallel before I started anything. So this was another example of me being slick and it backfiring

But actually running everything in parallel seemed to fix it all. In series I must have been getting too much drop for anything to be working right. I seem to be getting about 30 psi oil pressure at idle. The only thing not reading right was the water temp, so I needed to get it up to operating temp to actually see about that one

I went ahead and fired up the truck and was filling up the trans fluid while it was idling and getting up to temp. Started right up today and seems to be running well.. I might still be idling a little high but without a tach idk.. I might end up adding a tach on the column for this

So basically the water temp gauge would be at zero, then later would be fully tacked out. It was months ago when I had installed the temp switch for the fan and the temp sender for the gauge, so apparently I had forgotten which one was which lol I had the gauge hooked up to the switch, so when it reached operating temp and switched on, it'd ground out the circuit and max out the gauge. I switched the wires between the two and then all my gauges seemed to be working correctly.

I ordered a speedometer cable from Bowtie Bits, so that thing showed up. My fan seems to run pretty much all the time once it gets up to operating temp, so idk that might just be how it's gonna be.. I went ahead and put everything back together, installed the inner fenders, steering, topped off steering fluid, and double checked everything I could.

One thing to mention is that the truck is highly likely a '41 and with that it had the '41 inner fender supports that bolt to the frame. I wanted to run the '46 supports that bolt to the cab however, so a while back I had grabbed a set at the old man's junk yard and got them drilled and bolted onto the cab. I had modified the inner fender to pass my steering through (sorry Paintman) and in fact on the passenger side I am still running an inner fender that is meant for a '41, and is slightly modified to hit the new 46 supports.

I tried a few test runs while the rear tires were in the air, then I set it on the ground and inched down the street on it's first maiden voyage

gokellurself is offline   Reply With Quote