View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #148
theastronaut

Re: Project Goldilocks, '66 C10 SWB BBW Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
WOW! Just read this whole thread. Makes me rethink what building a "driver" means as far as detail goes...

Looks great!
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks dude! It's still going to be a long way from what a "show car" restoration would be, as far as the frame detailing goes. It will get sanded down and repainted, and reassembled with new grade 8 bolts but that's about it. If it were going to be a show car all the extra holes would be welded up, all of the rust pits would get skim coated, then everything shot with high build primer and wetsanded completely smooth. The seams would get welded and ground smooth, all of the edges would get radiused, the paint would be cut and buffed... Just because it's got a fresh coat of paint doesn't mean it's "detailed"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuKasey View Post
Couple things.... If you look up the Bapst truck here... hes the guy that runs the autocross at the Charlotte Goodguys... He set his engine back and moved it down then made a custom firewall for it all to work. That may be an idea. As for a NASCAR inspired 60-66 truck.... Dig up the pics of the on Richard Childress' Cup shop built... absolutely AWESOME!! Remember.... Nascar trailing arms bolt right up!

I can't cut the firewall, it's too nice of a truck to start hacking it. And I want to be able to use the stock style firewall insulation/cover. I don't really want to cut a hole in the floor for the shifter, but that's the only way to get a decent manual transmission. I'll leave the engine where it is and use the stock mounts, as long as the T56 will fit without having to drop it any.

I guess I got carried away planning all the go fast tricks and now reality is setting in.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote