View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #136
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Re: 69 C10 swb stepside project 45 ACP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Wow Mike you have a lot irons in the fire! I'm glad you have a plan to get it all done.
We're going to need some pictures now
No kidding. I am trying to get my vehicular A.D.D. under control a bit and cutting two of my project vehicles out of the herd. I think three is enough

I figured I should start a rebuild thread on the Camaro too so here it is:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=528952

I have the order of the work I need to do nailed down pretty good on my to do list so I can be as efficient as possible with what time I have to get things done. I will be bouncing around on the vehicles a bit at first with all the engine swaps and parts transfer work but once that is done I can focus my energy on one vehicle at a time.

First I can get the 67 C10 cut up for the parts I need then put the Malibu together and send it on its way.

The funds from the sale of the Malibu will pay for the rest of the short block parts I need to finish my 496 short block for the Camaro. It is the easiest to get done and on the road as it needs no rust repair and very little body work before paint can go on. Just a little trailer, pit & storage rash here and there from 15 years of racing. It can also run & drive before the 496 is done and the paint can wait. I need to drive that car again soon. It has been undrivable for way too long.

The 396 runs fine and has new heads, cam, timing set, oil pump & bearings. It just smokes a bit because the block needs bored out to fix the cylinder wear. That is why I have a fully machined 454 block in the shed. I couldn't justify paying the money to rebuild a 396 when a 454 or 496 would cost about the same money. I just couldn't make up my mind on what engine to build until recently. I kept thinking about a 427 I built years ago that was a great street engine but pistons are tough to get for them now and cost so much I can't justify the expense. I can buy nice rods and pistons for a 496 for what a set of 427 pistons cost. I nearly scrapped the big block entirely and went with an LS engine swap & single turbo setup. It would cost about the same but there is just something really cool about a big block Camaro plus I have a ton of big block specific Camaro parts that I couldn't use elsewhere & wouldn't get my money back if I tried to sell them.

Stay tuned for more pics. The progress will come soon. The house projects are nearly done then I can get the real work under way.
Attached Images

68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote