pickup67man

Re: Project Family Hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
Channel the body over the frame?
That's what I was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclassix View Post
I gotta say, from the pictures, the frame doesn't stand out that much. being that it's fully boxed, I like it. being a van frame, it does seem more of a challenge. for the crew we just said screw it, cut the floor and set the cab where we wanted it, then built a whole sub framed floor to fit the newer frame. for my burb, I plan on keeping as much of the donor floor as possible. being that you're burnt out on body work, I can understand not wanting to dive into any more mods. I imagine the van floor sat way too high to have a flat deck and clear the power train, so my suggestion would be just snip bits out of the way of the body until it sits where you want, then built a subframe for the floor where needed. this may give you better mounting points later as well. since its 4x4, how much of the frame do you really need to hide?
Going to modify the floor. Not the floor itself but the floor supports. They run right above the new frame so why not move them. I cut some out of a junk cab to test fit. They will sit just inside the new frame and since that is where the body mounts are I can make the mount brackets sit at any height. This will lower the body about 2 1/2". The rest of the body should be fine.

By the way it's not a 4x4. It's AWD. They sit lower and it sounds sportier.

2005 K2500 Duramax (hauls the junk home)
1967 Chev C10 (hauls a$$)
1970 Suburban (Yukon XL 4 door)
1968 GMC 3/4 ton (sheetmetal only, chassis gone)
2005 Malibu (wife's car, still a Chevy)

Project Family Hauler

New Home for Chevys (Moved in and working)
pickup67man is offline   Reply With Quote