View Single Post
Old 04-29-2020, 10:12 AM   #20
MidLifer

Re: Pros cons on complete AC systems

This is great info, very helpful to think about. Gonna stick with my VA system.

Here on the right coast, 110 doesn't happen. 95 is our average hot August afternoon. But the 90% humidity is what gets to you. My VA system does a good job on those days, but if I don't leave the vent window cracked I do get some fogging. Wish they would engineer a solution for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binford View Post
Performance is measured in different ways.
BTU rating give us a rating, but you can't compare apples with oranges.
Which is what we would be doing between stock and VA products.
The evaporator in the cab vs the engine bay. That's a huge difference.

I called a friend who has a 69 Blazer and Vintage Air. He said at 100 is ok, at 110 you need shorts and a tee shirt for a long drive.

I ordered some Design Engineering heat shield, designed for under vehicle application from Summit racing. I going order the VA system as it all new and I like moving it into the cab, even though it's tight. My stock AC takes up a fair bit of my glove box anyway vs a non AC truck.

I done HVAC for 20 years and understand the difference between a txv and an orface.
Orface is fixed flow, like a gas stove with just one setting. The gas can only pass at a fixed rate. A txv will regulate the refrigerant flow to the max designed based on temperature.
So when the cab is hot a txv will open a send more refrigerant, when the cab cools down the refrigerant flow is decreased. So more like a throttle.

I was not super impressed with my stock AC, so with added insulation and a new system, I hope to take my significant other on a cool drive.

I have another older truck that I added a mister to help keep it cool. The one mister really helps when it's over a100 and your being slow cooked.
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote