Thread: New C50 Owner
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 05:00 AM   #19
Pvmt-Pndr

Re: New C50 Owner

I would be torn on a 1300 mile trip with an unknown truck. On one hand it looks well taken care of but on the other hand just how well has it been maintained mechanically. A 50 year old truck has a lot or unknowns. It looks like the truck wasn't used a whole lot or at least not abused when it was used. If the previous owner did a lot of things as preventative maintenance I would roll the dice on it.

At minimum I would have a trail car loaded down with everything possible for a quick road side fix. That's what I did with mine but mine was only a couple hundred miles from home. I had every tool I could think of. About the only thing I didn't have was a cherry picker.

Don't forget to factor in the weather too. At 60 mph non stop you're talking 22 hours of drive time. That's at least one night in a hotel. On the high side of 8 mpg that's around $400 in gas alone. So with all that figured you're at a low side of $650 for a hotel and gas. That's not including driving or flying to the truck either.

I would go for it if it were warmer outside. Like Airdirect said it will make for some great memories.
Pvmt-Pndr is offline   Reply With Quote