View Single Post
Old 01-07-2023, 02:25 PM   #14
540ChevyC20

Re: 72 C20 factory air conditioning restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
I recommend doing it yourself. I had Original Air do the box restore and in my opinion it was an incomplete job, so I had to take it apart and do the second half of the job myself. They did a good job making the outside look good and cleaning it up, but they were not interested in the door or rubber or patching holes in metal. Here are details of my experience with it: https://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vbo...d.php?t=790246

Treat the rubber tube that goes between the evaporator box and blower motor with care and don't lose it. It is not reproduced and as far as I know would be somewhat difficult to fabricate. If it has any splits you can fix with superglue and spread some black RTV on top of the superglued crack.
Thanks, yes after reading your experience I've decided to do it myself. The steel is rusty but I don't think there are major holes - I'll get the wire wheel on it very gently and clean it up, see what it looks like. I'm sure I can repair minor holes. The diverter flap rubber is mostly intact with the exception of a small missing piece which I figure I can mend somehow. I live in Austin, and the truck won't be driven in winter so I doubt that diverter will move much, if ever.
Attached Images

540ChevyC20 is offline   Reply With Quote