View Single Post
Old 11-29-2013, 07:12 AM   #1
CamaroChris

1987 2wd Jimmy, Project (Cheap a$$)

Hey Fellas,
I'm starting a new build to put together a advertisement for my little business I have started here locally. (This build thread is not to get business off this forum without being a vendor) I wanted to show people around town what I can do In the engine swapping department :P

The build wont be too fancy, and I'll be trying to keep it as close to a small budget as possible while still making a dependable daily driven truck.

I bought a 74ish 2wd blazer about 2 years ago that was cut up by the previous owner in the hopes of building a rat rod out of it. I bought it for $200
towed it to my shop and its been sitting since.

Last week I scored a running 1987 4x4 Jimmy with only 2 rust spots on the entire truck (which is rare in SALT Lake City) for just $500

So far, here is the plans for the build. I want to be finished With this list in 3 months or less Hopefully.
  • Strip Frame, sandblast and coat in POR15
  • Install all new steering components, Bushings and bolts
  • Add 5/6 drop
  • Add rear disk brakes to the 12 bolt
  • New fuel lines, brake lines
  • Install 650+ hp engine Swap and 4l80e Trans
  • Put body on a rotisserie to seal and undercoat
  • Put body back on the frame and start daily driving

A couple questions I have.

This 2wd body is already lowered with a axle flip and something to match up front. I have no ideas how much its lowered. any Idea on how to tell what has been done already?

I really want to turn some power out of this truck. what should I plan on doing to the chassis to prepare for it? Will axle wrap be a problem?

And last, Is it reasonable to believe that If this thing gets low to the ground with front and rear sway bars and poly bushings that it will handle pretty well?

Anyway, pictures of last nights progress.

The 1987 Jimmy

1987 Jimmy Build, Project Cheap A$$ Build Link

Last edited by CamaroChris; 11-29-2013 at 07:28 AM.
CamaroChris is offline   Reply With Quote