Thread: Greg's 50 Build
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 11:53 PM   #219
Root2812

Re: Greg's 50 Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb View Post
The Hooker manifolds that AD shows above or the Sanderson headers are a good fit. They both fit tight and exit toward the rear, leaving some room for the steering linkage.
Aren't Sanderson headers expensive? I saw Speedway Motors had their own brand for about $200 but I always question the quality of inexpensive parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 to Life View Post
Hey don't wanna clog up your post with my pics, but I agree I think your engine should come up higher. Makes the headers easier, also the use of the truck pan is much more feasible. DL angles are easy fix. I do think you may want to consider how far forward your engine is. If you see where my placement is and with and EFan centered up, its close. You can move the efan up or down and gain just enough, but it def helps to have all that there when moching up. as for huggers, they sell stainless ones on ebay for cheap, same quality as the ones I have here. Can't beat the price. quality is nice.

I wouldn't worry about the trans, some dirt isn't going to destroy it in my opinion. Good progress though, keep at it.
Your Pictures are always welcome. Its nice to see something other than my junk. I do think I am going to move the engine up, it should be easy. I hope to retain the truck pan for cost but I won't rule out the Fbody pan just yet.

Are you running the truck accessories? My engine accessories? I didn't want to mess with my firewall because I like the look of it uncut so I bought the corvette accessories. It should buy me an inch and a half vs the truck parts. I will move it if I have to but I haven't bought a radiator to measure off of yet and I will have the option of running a pusher fan if need be but I hope to run a puller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaboynca View Post
Is it me or do LS engines look good stuffed into these trucks?
I agree. I am not above saying that I picked an LS because I loved the look. The performance and reliability is a bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 to Life View Post
I feel like it could go either way. I personally like seeing the carbed versions of them. but a nice LS6 intake looks cool even though a truck intake usually out performs them.
Yep, also not afraid to admit the intake is just for looks. I really want it to look good when I pop the hood. So far I have spend at least $1000 on cosmetics for under the hood and that's on top of the swap cost. That intake was spendy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52MNResto View Post
Greg-

How did the 4L60E install? Does it look like a tunnel will be in order? The install looks to be going well. I was thinking about installing my motor and trans this weekend but I think I will let you iron out the details for me. keep up the good work.

Evan
Not so much a tunnel, more of a slight dome at the toe board. Now if I raise my engine I may need to add more of a tunnel. The transmission installed easy. Once I had the engine mounts welded in there I wanted them to set the motor level, center, and as close to the firewall as possible. The tranny was easy because I used a jack under the pan to hold it up, bolted it to the motor, and then used the jack to set it to the right angle. installing the universal tranny cross member only took drilling 4 holes and putting in bolts.

By all means install yours so I can cheat and look at yours to figure out how to fix all my messes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerSid View Post
I think my engine is a little higher than yours. Check my build out to see where I have my 4L60e located. May give you and idea or two
I'll do that. I will be info gathering for a while now. I spent all my play money on this roadrunner. I can at least start on the engine harness for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flysocal View Post
Nice job on the engine. I too have an LS1 and did the LS6 valley cover to clean up the external PCV plumbing. Got aluminum dust all over the place grinding down the block! What a mess. Since then I invested in a Dremel kinda funny investing in tools after needing them. Awesome paint work and paint on the intake!
I was afraid I would have to grind the block but I didn't. My engine is a iron block 5.3 so grinding would have been hard. Luckily, my engine isn't have that spot on the block so it all just bolted right up.

I am really proud of my engine. I started to feel in over my head but I just took my time and stuck to the book. I sure hope it runs.