View Single Post
Old 12-09-2015, 04:02 PM   #91
4mulaSvaliant

Re: 64 "Large Marge" LWB-SWB / Build thread.

That said, I have accomplished a little bit on my truck!
I managed to get started on the rust repair finally! So a while back I realized I needed to abandon the fenders that cam on the truck as someone before me didnt patch them worth a damn!
They bought the cheap patches (same as all of us have to) BUT....... They used the entire patch and cut out far more than they likely needed too. Not to mention the cut and replaced the structural part toward the rear of the fenders as well.
Basically all of this and some piss poor welding led to me wanting to start from scratch with a set of fenders that had at the very least, not been hacked up.
I managed to find a rusty set on CL for $100.00

Here you can see what a bad job was done. I didnt want to have to try to sort this out! LOL

I did however salvage the structural pieces from these fenders. I wanted to aide in the water and mud NOT getting trapped in the bottom of this part, which is what typically causes the rust.
So I decided lets cut out where the debris and water gets hung up. I could have (and should have) dont a cleaner job, but Ill admit I was rushing to beat day light at this point.

Again.... make your patch, then transfer it to your part to be repaired. (Yes these are the same crappy panels that all of us have to buy)

Tacked in and well on my way!

Now...... you cant see it here, but the area i was not happy with is this very bottom section where the fender lip is. The replacement panel doesnt match very well and the transitions of all these shapes didnt look so great. I did a bit of hammer and dolly work to make it a "decent" patch, but I still have to do more later. Fortunately, it is still workable and an easy location to do so.

I just realized I dont have any pictures of this finished and on the truck.

Ill have to add those to show where the hammer and dolly work is still needed.