View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 03:49 PM   #86
mr48chev

Re: Patina, shop logo'd, rusty trucks?

To be honest I could never understand the fascination with a truck with a clapped out paint job except as the beginning of a project to make a nice truck out of.
It might be because I come from an era that most guys wouldn't be seen driving to town in such a truck and there are so many around here that look like that that they don't have a lot of appeal.
I really can't understand the thinking of anyone who would spend real money to fake a worn paint job or sign. Buy the truck with worn paint and signs from a long gone shop or lumber yard, sure that might be cool for a while but to take a decent truck and do a fake "patina" job on it doesn't cut it for me.

That said I think that at the moment both of my trucks qualify for the patina list on their own merit and a bit of neglect of late.

The daily driver 71 GMC (has a chev nose) has the original orange paint with 54 holes that my uncle drilled in various places to mount different things.

door dents due to the big west coast mirrors hitting trees and fence posts.
It runs, drives and goes 50 miles a day at `12.5 mpg

The truck that gives my screen name is my chopped 48.
That isn't "patina" it's well faded purple primer well aged in the sun. It may make the trip to Bonneville that way this year though just to save a few bucks by not doing a fresh primer job.