View Single Post
Old 12-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #40
ryanroo

Re: Looking for a cummins donor vehicle for 2500hd

I would go with a heavier rear. the 60 is just smaller all around. brakes, r&p, shafts... being in farm truck country i cant think it would be terribly difficult to chase down a 14 bolt or a d70/80. i cant think of one truck that used a 60 behind a real diesel in stock form(excluding the NA6.2 and 1/2ton 6.5 trucks). but if you know the limits and dont push at them it would probably not really give you any issue just putting around. put a lot of torque through it with a load though and you will probably see some busted metal. or at least worn out parts quicker.

im going to recommend that you go ahead and swap the front pinion yoke to a 1350. any dana 60 yoke from a similar year i.e. a chevy ford or dodge dana 60 will work on the 61. i have replaced a few of those on trucks with owners that just wanted to be done replacing u joints. you will likely have make or find replacement drivelines anyhow so the yoke only adds a little extra cost. you can look for a 2nd gen dodge front shaft at the JY as they have the same saginaw style flange at the t-case as the dodge 205s and a 1350 cv joint as well as a 1350 yoke the other end.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote