View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 12:05 AM   #57
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

I took most of the day off from work so I could play a bit. I was able to borrow a stud gun and slide hammer from a body shop around the corner from my house. That thing is very cool. So simple even a caveman like me can do it. I had two kinda large dents under the rear window and another under the cowl, then a few little ones on the cab. I also had 3 small dents on the fender that I did not take picks of, just more of the same. Just some more hammer work and it will just need a light coat of mud to level off. Not bad for a newbie.

I brought the truck back over to the shop to return his tools and get an estimate for some welding. He gave me a great idea for filling a lot of the small holes from trim pieces etc. Use the stud gun to fill the small holes that the stud head is big enough for. Then just grind those smooth. That will save a lot of time on the fenders I have. Anyway, it looks like I'll be bringing the truck over to his shop on monday for some work. There is a crack on the pass side rear wheel well because that brace in front of the wheel well is gone. There are holes in the bedrails from the PO installing a camper or something, and I have the stake hole patches that need to be welded. They will also fill the holes I can't do with the studgun on the fenders. He said they will probably charge me about an hour for that. Sounds like a deal to me.

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote