View Single Post
Old 12-08-2019, 03:08 PM   #141
Duncan K

Re: 66 GMC Long to Short LS Swap

Got tired of sheet metal and rust. Decided to start on the exhaust. Ordered some stainless v bands, straight pipe, a few bends, and some Magnaflow mufflers. I plasma cut two holes in the cross member and welded in a couple support rings. Right after I cut the holes I found out that one header comes out closer to the frame rail so I would have to jog the pipe over to keep them parallel. Made a bunch of pie cuts to make the jog. Got everything tacked and started welding. I have never welded stainless before. Started with the v band which went ok, but once I moved on to the pie cuts not so good. Doesn't seem like i am getting very good gas coverage, welds are dark and have a crusty film on them. All the pieces were cleaned with acetone. Tried running a bigger #10 cup, upped the gas flow, nothing helped. I am not back purging so I wonder if impurities are being pulled in from the inside of the pipe?

Started on the "H" pipe, had to angle it to clear the driveshaft. I found a cool pipe notch template online which a printed, cut out and slipped around the pipe. Cut it out with a grinder and cut off wheel. Fit up was perfect.

Going to do some home work on welding stainless before I weld any more. Thinking about getting one of those monster size Furick Fupa cups with the diffuser and see if that helps.