View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
E911manager

65 on a Caprice frame, not crazy but anyone else try it??

I am new to the forum and have heard just about every reason why I shouldn't put a 60-66 Chevy on a Caprice Frame. Well contrary to old school thinking, I think it will not only work but be a great ride. I purchased at 1994 Caprice 9C1 Police package with 69K miles on it. The track width and wheel base is less than an inch off all the way around. The car has 69K original miles and I got all the service records. I personally know the guy that drove it all its life and he was a 35 year vet and never drove it over 55. Literally, i had to ride with him a few times. It was an unmarked unit.

Anyway, if you are not familar with the 9C1 package they have thicker frames, 4 wheel disk brakes, 3.08 positrac, 4 link coil over, low gear lockup transmissions, of course the LT1 with an electric water pump and I could go on. I am not planning on channeling the frame and am going to cut the outer cab/floor mounts and then mount the cab to the inside of the frame instead of the outside like the factory. The bed floor will need to be tubbed or resemble being tubbed to clear the 4 link.. I intend on using the complete wiring harness along with the analog instrument cluster from the caprice (caprice instruments are 16" wide and the 65 is 18"). This will be a fun task but I think it will look pretty good. i have several other ideas like using the inner fender wells "frenched" into the originals to give it a more modern look to match the motor..

I have picked up 2 complete long bed pickup and a 3rd cab and near perfect doors and also SWB that is a little rough but will work for mock up. I am starting the metal work on the cab, which is minor, primarily just floor pans, the cab has perfect rockers and all original paint.

I heard of a guy that did this in either Kansas or Oklahoma, if you know who it was then give me the hookup...

So give it to me.. What am I missing????
E911manager is offline   Reply With Quote