View Single Post
Old 11-07-2020, 06:29 PM   #12
68Gold/white

Re: FNG from Woodstock, IL

All wheel drum brakes are just flat out dangerous, my opinion, yet some here are fine with them, not by me.
When the factory went with front disc/rear drum the braking improvement was/is so much drastically better, I see no reason for rear disc. My good friend converted his 66 C-10 to front disc (only). That thing REALLY brakes well!!!
I have a 67 and a 68. I plan to convert them both to manual disc (front only, rear disc). Many here have commented they like their 71/72's that have manual disc brakes. 71 and 72 were the ONLY years that manual disc brakes have been offered.

I hate working on drum brakes of ANY kind. but can tolerate them on the back of my classic Chevy pickup. Rear disc stuff can be pricey, and sometimes getting them to function properly can be a pain.

You can convert your fronts to 6 lug disc, and not touch the rears, or convert to 5 lug. Converting your rear to 5 lug is not that difficult. Correct length 5 lug axles can be had from Moser or others, then you just need 5 lug drums (from a 71 or 72) (I plan to go with 5 lug)

Putting the gas tank behind the rear end is another must do, my opinion. I plan to use a Boyd tank.
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote