View Single Post
Old 04-27-2020, 03:22 PM   #4
MP&C

Re: Need help with my painting plan

Some cautionary comments regarding Greg's advise.....

Baking soda residue is a good way for epoxy primer to peel off in sheets, if IT isn't properly neutralized.. Certain acids left in pitted areas can fester after some time in the sun and cause adhesion issues from outgassing of the chemical reaction still taking place. I've had personal experience with both, lesson learned the hard way. As expensive as paint products are, my advise is once you decide on the epoxy primer, use the recommendation of that paint manufacturer for any prep of surface rusted areas. NOT ALL EPOXIES REACT THE SAME to follow such blanket statements, but most do not like soda as the epoxy loses adhesion in the presence of the base PH.. If considering any acid prep, get the info from the EPOXY PAINT manufacturer for what they recommend using with their product, and follow their instructions for using said product to the letter. Do not take advise from the acid prep manufacturer, they all have enough disclaimer hidden on their website to remove liability that all they are worried about is making the sale.