Thread: Fuel tube
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 02:33 PM   #9
GM man

Re: Fuel tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOne View Post
I dont know why you'd want to. You have the main vent line that runs down with the fuel neck...

But you also have two vent lines that run from the gas tank to the vapor tube, one on each side of the gas tank. This is so that when the fuel sloshes back and forth you always have venting on one side or the other. The third line on the vapor tube, the one in the middle, runs to the charcoal canister under the hood.

At the canister you have three lines. They are all marked on the canister. One leads back to the vapor tube. Another line from the canister is spliced into the PCV line to the carburetor. The last line is a vacuum line that should be hooked up to ported vacuum on the carb.

When you run the engine off idle, the ported vacuum opens a valve on the canister and the engine consumes the gas tank vapors via the PCV line. At idle, the vapors vent out through the canister.

Here's a pic from the factory assembly manual of the gas tank and vapor tube lines:
Attachment 1755114

This is basically a closed system and if you remove the lines as you'll get a gas smell, higher evaporation rates, and maybe a fuel leak depending on how you plug the holes.
I installed a 31 gallon tank for a 87-91 Jimmy and used the sending unit with 4 outlets. In addition to the small vent line that runs along with the fill tube, I had a 5/8" vent line that comes off the sending unit. I removed the 3 small vent tubes from the pipe in the diagram you posted, and ran this 5/8" vent tube inside the pipe. I'm thinking about re-installing the charcoal canister but locating it at the back and connecting it to that 5/8" line somehow because I do get a gas smell when the tank is full.

1972 GMC Jimmy 6.0/4L65
1972 Chevrolet long bed 1/2 ton
GM man is offline   Reply With Quote