Thread: Memorial Day
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2023, 09:42 PM   #17
zicc1835

Re: Memorial Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
As a follow up I would like to tell you a bit more about Edward Shea. He was born in Hoboken NJ four years before my father, his brother. While kids they both ran around with Frank Sinatra. My grandmother, his mother was instrumental in Franks formative singing career. When Pearl Harbor happened my uncle enlisted in the Army immediately, my father was rejected due to having contracted Rheumatic Fever as a teenager. Edward trained at Fort Lee and afterwards shipped out to Europe. Being almost 7’ tall it’s amazing he survived. During Korea he earned a battle field commission when his immediate supervisor was killed. Edward was shot seven different times. The last one hit him in the helmet, knocking him unconscious. This was during the much discussed Chosen reservoir battle. Taking place during the worst winter weather seen in decades , cold weather garb was in short supply on the Chinese side. While still unconscious a Chinese soldier stripped Edward of his uniform and boots. Eventually he awoken and walked back through a firefight to his company. Along the way the retreating Chinese must have thought he was a apparition or spirit as they bowed down to him and let him pass without a fight. He was sent to Japan to recuperate. During the Vietnam campaign he was assigned to a river boat patrol group and afterwards helped build the facilities around Camron Bay harbor. A US Army movie was made with him narrating about the operation. He finally returned home after my grandmother contacted NJ senator demanding he be assigned to a desk instead of being in harms way any longer. This photo shows his statue, very imposing I would think to a 5’3” Chinese fellow. My mother and grandfather and me along side. I appreciate the opportunities to share Edwards story. He passed away from drinking and smoking constantly to try to diminish the demons who tortured him right to the end.
thank you for taking that time to share ,now there was a true PATRIOT GOD BLESS AMERICA ...we once new... my father too was not allowed to enlist for he also had Rheumatic fever as a child so he went to work for Curtiss -Wright in Caldwell NJ building airplanes for the war effort
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote