Old 02-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #165
chevytruckluver
Eat, Sleep, Drive a Chevy

Re: Camaro Caliper Brackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova_Cobra64 View Post
Ok here is what I came up with, I'm quite happy with the result:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1711832...7629278025503/

I started with 1 1/2" angle iron, 1/8" thick. 1 3/4" or 2" would have worked better but I was making use of what I had. I cut a piece approximately 2" and clearanced it and drilled 2 holes so it would match up to where the factory brackets would go. Then I had to make a 3/4" extension for a bit more room (which is why the larger angle iron would work better). From there I cut a piece approximately 3 3/4" and welded it to the smaller piece, drilled a hole for the cable and chopped off the excess and smoothed it out a bit. Then to make a return spring I used a brake shoe hold down spring from a box of spare parts, chopped a small piece of rod (close to the ID of the spring) and angle iron about 1/4" wider. I drilled a hole in the angle iron, slightly smaller than the rod and welded the rod to it from the back side then welded the angle iron to the bracket. It is a bit tough to put in to words so hopefully the pictures help. With the caliper mounted on the rear position with the parking brake lever facing up, the camaro e-brake cables can come down on the outside of the trailing arm, and should be able to use the factory brackets. I still have to make new brackets for the trailing arm (mine were buggered up), but it looks like this should work out perfectly. Making the first bracket took me about an hour and a half with all the figuring, the second took about 10 minutes. Brake shoe springs are easy to come by, and I probably used $2 worth of angle iron. As long as a person has access to a welder and an angle grinder it's a pretty easy solution.
Nice work on the bracket however I notice in the last picture you have the caliper mounted upside down. The bleeder screw has to be on top of the caliper!

72 Short Step
57 "big window" short step
chevytruckluver is offline   Reply With Quote