View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 12:45 PM   #5
mr48chev

Re: 1968 Chevy C10 manual drum brakes problem

Shoes installed correctly with the shoe with less brake material a the front and the one with more material at the back? I lost track of how many home brake jobs that didn't stop good were brought into me with the shoes on wrong when I was doing brake jobs every day in a Firestone store in the70's.

Springs installed wrong or one popped out or broken and bouncing around in the drum

Shoes not adjusted right?

Dirt or sand or whatnot inside the drum from the roads you have driven on lately or have to drive on. Fought a rig with noisy brakes for over a week one time an then found out that the woman who owned it lived three + miles down a gravel road. Everything I did was wiped out when she went home that night.

Lining not matching the drum well because the lining was set up for new drums and you have maybe .060 cut out of the drums to true them up.

Last, in those years of working on brakes I came to the conclusion that some lining is just flat noisier than others and cost or the quality of the stop has nothing to do with it being quiet or noisy. Sometimes the best lining rated for the best stopping and longest life is the noisiest.

The quietest lining around then was some cheap stuff that a discount parts house sold that only lasted about 10,000 miles but I never got a complaint on it from the people who's cars I put it on. Normally those were people who never put many miles on a car and seldom went outside the city limits.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote