Thread: Rat repair.
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #52
swamp rat

Re: Rat repair.

Finished painting the Booster and Master Cylinder today, decided the cast iron grey paint looked just fine.. clean stuff first, then on to the dirty work.

Figured i'd better get the Dana 44 filled with gear oil now that its back together.

Got the flex hoses mounted to the frame both front and back, the driver side was way easier and much more room.

Then i dumped the fluid out of the Eaton and pulled the cover off, everything looked fine, just the usual sludge in the bottom, covered the gears with paper towels and scrapped the gasket then using an old large pair of hemostats i used paper towels to clean out the bottom, final clean up with a bit of brake fluid, then covered the gears again with paper towels then an old T shirt wrapped and taped around the axle housing followed by a sheet of plastic also taped up, don't want any crap to get in there while the cover is off. I cleaned the inside of the cover but still need to clean all the rust off the outside and get it painted up as well.

Oh, I got my dial indicator out and measured .010 backlash between the ring and pinion, i don't know what the tolerance is just yet, anybody know? I may end up taking the truck to a ring and pinion place in the long rin but its ok for now.

I spent the better part of almost 2 hours looking for a couple parts in the last 2 days.. sure enough the parts were in plain sight, i hate it when that happens!

I called on my lift kit, they said that BDS had to Make the rear full arch springs but have the rest of the kit ready so don't know how long that will take. Hopefully not too long. Also no word yet on the conversion disk repair or replacement.

I'll try and get a few more pictures soon.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote