Thread: 55 truck build
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2020, 10:22 AM   #5
jasonpotts

Re: 55 truck build

I ordered a new TKO 500 as a kit from speedway.

I could never get the bellhousing to zero out when trying to align it. I had a "machine shop" true it up. Well they ruined it ended up taking almost 1/8" off of one side. I had to replace it and went with the cast aluminum piece. It worked great out of the box and only needed the use of offset dowel pins to get it right.

So... i ordered a mid shift kit for the TKO. I went to install it and and it all went sideways.

As i pulled the tailshaft housing off. all sorts of shims, needle bearing etc came loose, and jammed up the housing. I could not remove it no matter what i tried.

So head bowed in defeat i carried a box of parts and the transmission to a local shop. $400 later that had it all together.

I install it in the truck and it will not shift right. Every time i go into 5 or R it binds up and you have to slam the stick to get it out. On top of that it is super notchy in and out of gears.

I pulled it back out and shipped it up to Bowler. They got it all right and re-installed the original shifter as it turns out i had room for it all along. (Bowler found parts missing from the first shop that fixed it)

Im not thrilled with the stick I have but it can be changed out later on
Attached Images

jasonpotts is offline   Reply With Quote