View Single Post
Old 06-22-2019, 01:36 PM   #11
shifty
Questionable

Re: New 58 GMC Owner Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
Yes I did that first. Yesterday I tried the tip of dragging it in 3rd gear and giving it some quick jerks also. No luck she is really frozen.
My only advice would be this:

When my great grandpa outside San Anton passed, there were two 1-ton late 40s 3800 pickups sitting on his acreage. Neither had been started in more than 20-30 years and were frozen solid from the heat and sun sitting in a wide open field, unused. It took us just under a week for one, just under 2wks for the other.

We got them both unfrozen. We started by adding a 3oz measure of Marvel mystery oil in each cylinder with the plugs out, waited one additional full day for it to soak in, tried to turn over, repeated with another 3oz measure in each cylinder, waited for another full day, then tried again. day after the 3rd treatment (6th day from 1st treatment?), first engine broke free.

I've always used Marvel's oils, they're thin and penetrate well. On suggestion from one of my uncles, we switched to diesel fuel on the 2nd engine, repeated same process, 3oz in each cylinder every other day, trying a breaker bar on the crank before each application. Some spillage by the 4th application, but 2nd one finally broke free.

Replaced the valve cover gaskets in both, flushed the cooling systems manually as best we could and refilled, cleaned up the carbs, cleaned points, replaced the starter in one and both fuel pumps, used a separate fuel container and hose to the carb, both started right up and drove on the trailer.

After all that work, I was pissed my cousins wouldn't let me keep one. 47-53 are my favorite model.

I've seen a few like yours with the entire front bumper chromed. Looks incredible.

If you haven't tried anything I listed above, give it a go! What the hell, right?

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote