View Single Post
Old 12-17-2017, 04:45 PM   #12
Brad54

Re: New GM crate 350 for the '63

I've got that same engine in my '61 Suburban, and put almost 100,000 miles on it in about 8 years.

Here's what I did for the PCV system:
Stock chrome 327 valve covers, no vents or breathers.
Vintage Edelbrock intake with oil fill tube provision.
Stock '62 passenger car/california emissions sealed oil fill tube--this has the screw-on cap, and a threaded port on the fill tube.
I ran a screw-in PCV valve in the carb's base plate vacuum port, connected to the port on the fill tube (with a brass screw-in hose fitting).
At the back of the intake, I drilled and tapped a hole going into the intake valley. On the bottom side of the intake, under this hold, there were ribs cast in. I took the intake to a shop and had them weld an aluminum plate over those ribs, so it effectively created a small pocket area on the bottom side of the intake. I drilled a 1/4-inch hole in that plate. What this did was create a large oil baffle under the port I drilled in the intake.
I then drilled a hole in the air cleaner base (open element air cleaner in my case), on the INBOARD side of the air cleaner element.
I then connected a hose from the port on the intake to the port on the air cleaner's base.

The PCV valve in the base of the carb sucks air through the fill tube, which pulls from the lifter valley and heads, which pulls through the hose in the base of the air cleaner--which is filtered air through the air cleaner.

The PCV valves are directional. If you put the wrong valve in, it will CLOSE when the carb base's vacuum port pulls it. That will then allow the top of the carb to pull air through the system the wrong way (from the back of the intake into the air cleaner). You'll know you have the wrong valve when your air cleaner fills with oil.

This is essentially a recreated closed PCV system for early '60s California Emissions equipped vehicles: The difference is those engines used the breather port in the back of the block, where other vehicles used the road draft tube.

If you google things like "1962 Chevy PCV system" or "Emissions" or such, you can probably find a diagram. I found one in a YearOne catalog and based my system off of it.

Hope this helps.

-Brad

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote