View Single Post
Old 09-23-2020, 03:25 PM   #807
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s ‘79 - 2WD BLAZER Challenge over in London, England. “~It’s not a Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMc0308 View Post
Looks like Ford Cortina MkIII, MkIV, MkV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommo3 View Post
Yeah, I thought I had said MkIV Cortina probably a base model judging by the steering wheel like a 1600L

Thanks guys.

That is great info and Paul, thanks for the pics, really helpful.

Another reply elsewhere copied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6760 View Post
Blood hell this takes me back, as said in my pm, I had one of these around 30 years ago.

The original kit was ford or range rover. The donor car on the ford was mark iv or v cortina running gear and the pinto engine dropped straight on the mounts with standard engine mounts. The cortina prop shaft needed the centre joint removing cut down and rebalanced. I also changed my engine for 3.0 v6 and Granada gearbox with little effort but managed to kill it and went back to the pinto.
The kit options included a set of 16” weller 8 spokes with a serious offset which filled the arches nicely, but it would eat void bushes and wheel bearing on a annual basis. Iirc I had 300/85 r16 ballon tyres on it which didn’t help with wearing everything out. I became extremely good at swapping void bushes. I later swapped it to landrover tyre and it was a lot better.

The running gear on yours looks original cortina iv/v to me.

I had the fibreglass hard top which bolted on which had of all things a robin reliant rear window. Plus fibre glass full doors which lifted off. I had a soft top for mine too which I never used and sold it to my mate Stu who also had one. How pissed off was he, just as he was about to put his on the road thinking it was a one off I started driving around in mine. We both had a swing out spare wheel carrier which was needed to open the back window. I think this came as part of the hard top kit.

Stu swapped his rear suspension to Sierra giving independent all round but it was still sketchy. He has also gone through many Diesel engine through its life too. He then went full on and mounted the body to a shortened Toyota hilux chassis and still drives it around as his daily driver to this day.

I’ll dig out some pics and scan them.
I bought mine built, it was the ex-demo that eagle dragged around various shows to sell (Q999PDS), I finally swapped it for a SJ410. Stu built his from scratch, but I did so much on mine I think I touched, fixed or replaced every part on it.
Happy to answer any questions you may have.
Grizz1963 is online now   Reply With Quote