View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
whateverpratt

Re: NV4500 into my '63 rustbucket

Next, I needed my adapter plate. I went down to the local steel yard (we only have one) and picked up a 12"X9.5"X1.25" steel plate for $25. I have no idea if that was a good price or not. Everyone around town says he rips people off, but I don't have anywhere to compare prices, so idk.
I took this plate to a local machine shop and had them machine it down to 1" thick with a .25" boss that would fit the stock bellhousing and a .5" deep hole for the nv4500 retainer. We then counterbored the top two holes for the bolts to the bellhousing and tapped the remaining six holes (all 1/2"X13). I say "we" because he was cool enough to let me watch him make it, and it was one of the coolest things I've seen to date. He did the whole thing on the lathe except for the 8 bolt holes. The result is the plate that you see below. I also had him bore out a pilot bushing that would fit the larger Dodge pilot shaft. Plus he said he would do it for free, but I gave him $50 for his time. It took him about 2 hours (an hour on the lathe and an hour on the drill press), but he could have done it quicker without me there asking questions and pestering him.
Attached Images

whateverpratt is offline   Reply With Quote