View Single Post
Old 04-12-2016, 09:06 AM   #20
68Gold/white

Re: Thinking about building a rat rod with a 366. Worth it or no?

I was going to put a 366 in my 67. Decided no to. A lot of customizing needed.

There's a lot of good things, like a Holley carb fits the intake, trans bolt pattern, motor mount holes all same as a 454/350.

The 366 that I DID have, now gone was out of a bus. It had the high mount water pump (the fan position was about a foot higher than the standard water pump fan. I guess trucks use the standard water pump.

You HAVE to use a 366 water pump because of the water pump bypass. I've seen one tall deck 427 in a pickup with a standard pickup/car water pump. A bypass setup was corn cob engineer ed to function, it was not pretty.

1987 was the first year for fuel injection, although not all 366's were injected that year, is yours injected? If it was, that would be awesome, although creating another problem, delivering fuel to engine w/ correct pressure, and return line to tank...

The 366 was engineered by old timey thinking, some good, some not.
The small bore allowed tight control of the combustion event, more effecient, especially under heavy load, less likely to ping, Controlling ping in an engine that's over taxed is important. 366 has same stroke as the 396 and 427, 3.75, excellent torque producer!

The 3 compression ring was not really needed, but may have been needed for production line machining tolerances, who knows, it made the pistons a lot heavier.

If you have the standard water pump, your only big hurdle is adapting the radiator hoses down to standard car/pickup hose sizes. The hoses used on 366's are way bigger that standard car/pickup hoses. There's a company that makes these adapters, was an ad in a magazine long time ago. Adapters could likely be made at local machine shop.

If you have any other questions, let me know. I WAS going to do this, to much life happening at that time, I sold the 366....

Last edited by 68Gold/white; 04-12-2016 at 09:14 AM.
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote