View Single Post
Old 07-14-2021, 10:23 PM   #227
theastronaut

Re: '88 F*rd Festiva Autocross/Track/Daily Driver Build

The water pump on the white '89 started squealing and since it's getting the new engine soon I went ahead and pulled the engine and trans. I wanted to graph the FMS cam to see what it's specs were in case they were decent enough to use it in the new engine.

Signs of cavitation behind the impeller in the water pump. I may have to use underdrive pullies with the new engine; this was with the old engine only revving to 7k, the new build should go to around 8500.

I set up a degree wheel and dial indicator, then made notes of the lift at 5 degree intervals.

Pretty terrible duration and overlap numbers, and there isn't enough material on factory lobes to do any better with a regrind. I'm looking into having a stock cam welded up and reground to my own specs to really make use of the new intake, port work, and the 4-1 header I'll build. The cam is the current hold up, I need it to check piston to valve clearance.

More cylinder head work. I had opened up the chamber around the intake valve on the practice head, so I used tape as a template and opened up the good head to match.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote