Thread: My '59 Apache
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #93
Denee007

didn't turn out as good as I would have liked

Orrie and Kim~ ; )
Here's what I did;
First I leveled the frame of the truck with a level in along both engine frame rails, then from side to side(with a long level). The four tall jack stands the truck sits on are adjustable.

Then the tranny was already being held up by my Little Mule, So then I put the mock engine in and bolted it to the boltable/weldable mounts, they're held in by vise grips. I set the engine on the engine supports, then bolted the tranny to the engine. I can elevate/lower the height of the tranny via my little mule. But I cannot remove the little mule, it has to be there, there's no way the mock engine could take the force. Note: I did notice seems like the harmonic balancer maybe too high of the front crossmember, I didn't measure, working too fast today.

I removed the intake off of my mock engine and placed the long level on the intake surface of its block. I followed my transmission man's advice on what I just wrote. I put about 2 nickels worth on the rear and placed the long level as said to get the tilt, then attempted to get level on my level.

Where I need help~ I didn't take any photos, darn)
The tranny support, I put it beneath the frame, but intead of the valley of the support being downward, I turned it around and put it the other way where it's more like a hill(did you get that?) lol. I'm able to get the 4 degrees on the engine, and the crossmember bolts up, but I DON'T THINK THE DRIVESHAFT WILL CLEAR THE NEXT CROSSMEMBER! I put my driveshaft(from the impala) into the tailshaft, but there is no way I can get it's vector to go towards the rear axle yoke without hitting that crossmember, and it has kind of a cutout for a driveshaft. If I lower the tailend of the tranny, I will lose that 4 degree thing, plus this act would put the distributor closer to the firewall. sigh

The only thing I can think to do is un-tac my engine support, modify them to where the engine will sit lower, say an inch? I only tacked them in and would be relatively not too bad to undo. otherwise I would have welded them in permanently, but I was smart for once!

To end the day, I removed the mock engine, lowerd the tranny onto my cart, pushed the tranny further back under the truck to get it out of the way, and cleaned shop.
I'm tired~ I won't get back into the shop until Tuesday!!
; )
Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote