View Single Post
Old 06-17-2023, 10:40 PM   #14
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Orange is the new $$$$

Wheelbase is measured from center of front hub to center of rear hub. AFIK, Stepsides and Fleetsides didn't have any frame differences. I know of people who have swapped bed types.

About 5 years ago, the fuel pump on my GMC Jimmy died in downtown traffic. Thought I was out of gas. Got my Roadside Rescue guy out to add a couple gallons. No go. Had to call again to get a 10-mile tow home. Took 2 more hours. R&R'ed the fuel pump. Brand new. It lasted 100 miles. Next time I went to work, it was splashing gas all over the front suspension. Got it towed home again. Put another one on.
I think that got it unless it was bad too.
No American made mechanical fuel pumps anymore.
[Unless Jeg's has some Carters.]
I carry a spare Fuel Pump now.

Aiming headlamps is even more fun with a GMC.
You can use the brick wall technique -- Park the truck square-on to a brick or concrete wall. [The mortar lines will help you find level.] Aim the drivers side ''spot'' about hip height, and slightly right, to avoid glaring at cars from the opposite side. Bring the passenger side beam up to match.
How far from the wall is something to be determined locally.

I used to have a yellow plastic Headlight Aimer gadget from the auto parts store. You put 3 points on the 3 glass tits protruding from the front of the lens, then watched a level bubble as you dialed in elevation. Left and Right was still up to personal discretion.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote