View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 01:10 AM   #62
Twisted Minis

Re: Not so budget 3-link build

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixit-p View Post
I guess what I'm trying to say is how is it at controlling sway.
That would be the job of the air bags and shocks, to control body roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvelDesigns View Post
i think what he's getting at is on your wishbone, the point closest to the cab functions basically like trailer hitch in that it would allow the wishbone to swing left and right.

the bottom bars are going to prevent some of this, but i would think that if the driver were to take a corner at much of a speed, the axle would move left or right.

Do you think you'll have this issue? I'm looking at doing something similar for a build, but i'm leaning toward a triangulated 4-link setup instead of the wishbone due to this. The other option is to put the single point of the wishbone on the rearend and the other two points on a crossmember. then i cannot move.

The axle does not move side to side at all. If there where no lower link bars, then you could push the axle towards one side, and one axle tube would move forward, and one back. But since there are lower bars, the axle cannot move forward or backwards. Since it cannot do this, it also cannot move side to side. A wishbone will have more lateral stability than most 4-links. The only lateral movement you will see on this setup will be a small amount from bushing flex and the tire's sidewall deflection. If you push on the axle, the frame moves with it, vice verse. Having a small shop, I often turn these trucks around by simply sliding the back end around. Two people can slide one on the ground by hand, just push or pull depending on which side you are on. The tires break loose and slide before the axles moves laterally.

Fixit, you are close enough to come and see for yourself if you wish. You can come out and push on it yourself, and watch the whole truck move with the axle.

I used a similar setup on my own truck, and it was my daily driver for over 2 years. I like to drive hard and fast. My tires had about 1/8" between them and my fender lip (always tucking tire out back) and they never once rubbed on a hard corner.

A wishbone is a sure fire way to locate your axle. Think of it as an A-arm. Does your wheel move back when you drive? No. It's the same design.

The cool thing about a wishbone, is that they can take a lot of different shapes, and still work just as well.

Does that setup look like it would move side to side to you? It's the same thing, only the rod end is at the axle instead of the frame, and the wishbone is offset instead of symmetrical.