View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #46
brimc

Re: 86 Silverado K20 12V CUMMINS Build

So I picked up some more metal at the super store.

3/16" 3"angle, flat and 2X3 tube.

Started out with the angle on the bottom side of the frame. Now this setup is going to be somewhat different from others I have seen. I wanted more support than just being bolted, or welded on the inside of the frame.

I figure if the frame is sandwiched between the engine mounts and the removable xmember, it should be pretty strong.
So before I pulled the engine the last time, I made a cardboard template to give me the distance between the frame rails, oil pan, and front axle. I started off with the 2X3 tube 36" long. I made a center mark and measured off the template. I was going to use the saw at work but, I went ahead and did it by hand.

Cut out the notches and then bent it up to fit my template. I then used a strap to hold it as it had some spring to it so I could tack weld it.

4 tack welds held it firmly enough for the next part of the process.

1986 Chevrolet K20 Silverado 12 Valve CUMMINS P Pumped Intercooled/Getrag360/Divorced NP205/10B/14BFF Detroit Locker - DD Canadian Winter Beater.

My Chevrolet CUMMINS Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=585509
brimc is offline   Reply With Quote