View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014, 01:07 AM   #21
1971 3/4TON

Re: What do y'all use to get rid of rat p$$$ smell?

Tuff Stuff is an excellent interior cleaner. Unfortunately, no matter what you do to mask the smell, you never will eliminate the filth that rats cause. Rats and mice are downright, nasty bastards that can quickly destroy a perfectly good interior.

I ended up ripping out and redoing my entire interior after it was attacked my mice this past December. One mouse, in particular, was getting through an unsealed 1/4" gap of my transmission tunnel, and storing dog food, of all things, under the accelerator pedal.

As I tore up the old carpet, useless factory firewall padding, other jute padding, and removed the gas tank, I found many other surprises to my dismay, that I would have never found had I just masked the situation with Tuff Stuff. Again, Tuff Stuff is great, but only after you eliminate the problem at it's source, even if that involves tearing everything apart and starting all over.

And coffee grounds? Well, let's just flag that idea as...

Anyway, after two solid months of cleaning, sanding minor rust, priming, sealing holes, and laying Stinger Expert Roadkill (sound deadener), reflectix (heat insulation), and carefully cutting and mending non-molded custom carpet- from the corners of the rear window up to the very top of the firewall/dash, I can safely say that I have that "new car smell" (okay, more like adhesive). Nonetheless, I would rather huff adhesive fumes than smell rat piss any day.

Case in point- the more time and money you spend on your interior will ultimately determine the outcome of what you will be smelling, and more importantly, sitting amongst, in the near and remote future.
Attached Images

1971 3/4TON is offline   Reply With Quote