View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 09:39 PM   #3
conoco

Re: Rag joint to u joint steering shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
The spring is to preload the lower bearing. The rag joint is there to prevent the steering column from being shoved through the driver's chest in a head on crash. Back in the day it was a leading cause of traffic fatalities. Rag joints were one of the earliest government mandated safety regulations for automotive manufacturers.
Having a single U-joint will not prevent this from happening. You will need to have 2 U-joints to achieve the same safety.
The first ujoint would replace the rag joint going into the gear box, the second u joint would go right infront of that spring correct? Right in front of that spring is another cinch bolt with splines underneath, 36 of them.or does the seco d u joint need to go higher tha. That somewhere. Just doesnt seem like it could go anywhere else.
I found a collapsible steering shaft 3/4 DD 30 splines and 36 splines, that would work and stull keep it safe correct? I dont want to change something if its not better for the system. Everything i have read indicates dual u joints has a much better systen
conoco is offline   Reply With Quote