View Single Post
Old 08-15-2020, 01:04 AM   #6
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: What have you guys done with/to your trucks this summer??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Rob, very cool upgrade you're doing! That will be a beast! I love the orange and aluminum look. Very nice!!!!
Thanks, I'm excited to get to version 2.0 of my truck. The 5.3 was so much better than a TBI 350, I expect the 8.1 to be leaps and bounds better than it. I've got a little experience with them too between my Workhorse days and riding shotgun in Larry's two 8.1 powered trucks. Compared to a 22,000 pound RV, my 6,500 pound K5 ought to feel like a rocket and not be lacking for power at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
That’s gonna be an awesome build. I miss the 8.1 suburban I traded off when I bought my Camaro a couple years ago. That’s by far my favorite factory big block GM has ever built. Torque for miles and miles and miles down low. Mine had like 275,000 on the original engine and trans and we were still road tripping it with no issues at all.
Yep I agree, 8.1's got the torque down low like no other factory big block. That torque is what I've been lacking with the 5.3. Don't get me wrong, 5.3's as well as all LS engines are great setups. But the lack of torque down low for a heavy truck like mine was taking away the fun out of driving. I had to beat on it like a rented mule. Sure got the job done, but not comfortable. I could have geared it deeper to keep it wound up at speed better, but having seen and felt what an 8.1 does without beating on it, I didn't want to have to drive with the throttle pinned to the floor. Torque is what I need and that's what I'm going to have. The crazy thing is I'm probably going to get the same fuel economy I've been averaging on the highway with the 8.1 that I've been getting with the 5.3. Maybe a touch better too. I know the 8.1's thirst for fuel so I'm not expecting 18 mpg, but seeing 13-15mpg isn't unreasonable with my gearing, the new 5 speed and my tire size. Honestly anything over 12mpg is going to a be a bonus.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote