View Single Post
Old 04-05-2020, 01:14 PM   #25
mikentosh

Re: Mikey's 77 shortbox - Greenie

For a transmission I went with a Gearstar-built 700R4...I really wanted an overdrive gear for highway cruising. This trans is built out to their "Stage 2" specifications, for which they showed a bit of concern with the power level of the motor, but there are absolutely no plans to race this truck, and I kinda drive like a little old lady.

With everything dressed up I dumped the motor into the chassis. The CB engine plates weren't stamped with direction, so it could set the motor forwards or back by 3"...well we thought we had it correct (in the forward position) until a few weeks later when I put the core support on and noticed how tight it was. Fortunately it wasn't too much difficulty to raise the motor and reverse the plates, but I had to run the trans crossmember backwards to avoid redrilling holes

I'm happy with the end effect of backdating the motor...I think it will keep up the "stock" 1977 vibe, and only enthusiasts will notice angled plugs, passenger side dipstick, or the GMPP flags logo cast into the intake
Attached Images

mikentosh is offline   Reply With Quote