View Single Post
Old 03-24-2022, 01:44 PM   #130
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Re: 71' Blazer Rust bucket build

My buddy stopped by this morning and gave me a hand with getting everything separated & labeled. I am pleasantly surprised with how good a shape the frame is in. There is no damage to any of the mount holes that I am accustomed to seeing on the rust belt blazers. Usually the back mount holes are rotted and need a lot of work. What I thought was a lot of old oil leaks is actually undercoating that did an amazing job of preserving this thing. I am glad I saved this thing back in 2011 and put it in dry storage. I don't think it would be nearly as nice as what I am uncovering now. The entire cowl and both rear portions of the fenders were totally full of pine shats and leaves/dirt. The undercoating must have been done when the blazer was new because there is no rust in 95% of those areas. My buddy had to leave so I am taking a lunch break then headed back out to get the drive train apart. I need to determine if a can use a 12" clutch vs the 11" I think it has in it now. Also want to verify the spline count before ordering. In my haste ordering parts I ordered new rear drums before pulling the old ones off. After pulling them this morning, I think the ones on it are pretty new. I am going to take them with me to the machine shop when I take the flywheel to get it surfaced and have them check them. If they are still virgin I may have them cleaned up a bit and put them on the shelf for my other blazer down the road. I bought rebuild kits for the transmission and T case so gonna try my luck at doing them here. Found some Utube videos that I think will help fill in the gaps.
Plan is to strip down the frame (not busting anything that is riveted) rent and air compressor so I can sandblast it clean. I got some SPI epoxy primer here to shoot it with once done then get it painted. Still trying to figure out when my brake & fuel lines will be here but there is plenty of work to be done before then.
Feels good to get back to work on something. Been at a stall for a little over 2 years on all of it.

Attached Images

Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote